The Trojan Record

The Trojan Record

Stepping Forward
Stepping Forward
May 1, 2024

When deadlines loom, why wait?

Procrastination will happen to everyone at least once in their life. For high school students, procrastinating a project or homework assignment is the most common problem. Yet, we still do it. Why? Well, it’s all in the mind (but that’s not exactly it). When most people procrastinate, they either see the task as something that requires more energy than they currently have, or would rather prioritize something else instead. While there may be other reasons to procrastinate, it boils down to one common theme. Procrastination is nothing more than a delay of the inevitable, all because you became trapped in a repeating cycle.

Almost everything has a deadline, and this is where the trouble lies. It could be something simple or super complex, but everyone reaches a point where they will just do it later. When we procrastinate, the instant relief from not having to do something can seem greater than the stress and anxiety that will come after. Eventually, you will need to complete the task before the deadline or risk other consequences. This cycle of putting off work until the last moment, and then frantically trying to catch up can be dangerous, and you’ll end up walking a very fine line. However, there are ways to prevent this from ever happening, so don’t worry.

Sometimes procrastination can occur because people just don’t know where or how to start. There are several ways to combat this, but make sure to pick the one that best suits you. Through some trial and error (because everyone should be allowed to make mistakes), try each strategy and you’ll eventually find the best fit.

One strategy is to start an assignment as soon as you get it, even if it’s just something small like writing or typing your name on the page. Essentially, by jumping over the first hurdle, it can seem easier to complete the assignment when you have the time. Alternatively, you could designate a place in school (like the school’s library for example), or your house, where you will only be productive and working on assignments. If being in the same place for a long time isn’t the best option for you, feel free to switch locations too. Even just a change of scenery can be helpful for some people, just make sure to only be working in that location. It’s also best to avoid all other distractions, as losing focus can prevent people from wanting to continue. If you find that you need to do something else, pause and move to a different area. By setting a “productivity zone”, you’ll be better able to focus on the task at hand. However, make sure to take breaks. Almost nothing is worse than being close to done with a task but being so burnt out that you can’t continue any longer. Also, when working on a screen, make sure to pause every so often, and look at something twenty feet away for twenty seconds (20-20-20 rule). Eye fatigue is real, so remember to take breaks.

Another reason procrastination can occur isn’t because people don’t think they have the time. Being incredibly busy is a daily normal for some students, but rare for others. Still, it’s important to learn how to manage your time. However, I’m not saying that you need to keep a schedule of everything you need to do and when, as that’s probably too much work for most students anyways. However, it’s important to manage what’s on your plate. If you know that you may not have time to do something, do your best to prepare in advance. Most teachers will be willing to help you if you need it, as they do want you to succeed. This is the purpose of the school FIT sessions, to give students the time to ask questions or get help on an assignment from their teachers or peers.

While doing an assignment last minute might seem inevitable, it doesn’t have to be. Even working on something for five minutes at a time can eventually add up, and you’ll be done before you know it. So, make use of the tools available to you, and work towards being almost entirely free of procrastination!