The Trojan Record

The Trojan Record

Stepping Forward
Stepping Forward
May 1, 2024

Anderson Speech and Debate Kicks Off Their Season With Hendrickson, Grapevine Tournaments

Anderson Speech and Debate has officially started its season, having competed at the Hendrickson-Pflugerville Swing and Grapevine Classic, and is preparing for the Westwood and McNeil tournaments in late September and early October. To see how the season has been going, we caught up with Lincoln-Douglas debater Nate Watkins and Public Forum debater Nick Sharma, the latter who competed at Hendrickson and Grapevine, while the former competed at Grapevine and the Loyola Invitational. Nate was the Top Speaker at Loyola, going 5-1 in preliminary rounds, and then got to the bid round. At Grapevine, he went 4-1 and got to the bid round. Nick, along with his PF partner Samantha Martin, made it to the semifinals at Hendrickson and doubles at Grapevine. This is what they said about their debate experiences: 

K: So what first drew you to debate? 

Nate: Critical literature was one of my favorite things to read in middle school, so entering high school, I was automatically drawn to the way that debate integrated said literature into their debates. Also, a former debater, Ilan Benavi, sealed the deal.

K: Former captain Ilan Benavi, a true Anderson speech and debate fave. Nick, what about you? 

Nick: My older sister, Anika, encouraged me to join the debate team, and its competitive nature initially interested me. With all of the positive energy that was emitted by all the members, the debate team felt at home. 

K: Anika Sharma, another former captain and speech and debate fave. What are the LD and PF topics right now? 

Nate: The United States ought to guarantee the right to housing.

Nick: Whether the United States should substantially increase its military presence in the Arctic. 

(The debate topic changes every one or two months, so LD and PF will be debating a new topic in November.) 

K: What was a good moment at the Grapevine tournament for each of you? 

Nate: Definitely the decision during the bid round. Hearing that I won had to genuinely be one of the highest points in my debate career. Also, chowing down at Waffle House.

Nick: Seeing all the friends we have on the debate circuit. Socializing with different people from schools we barely get to see is an experience only to be held at tournaments. 

K: What is the tournament you’re most excited about in the future? 

Nate: The TOC. 

Nick: I am excited to travel to New York for the Bronx tournament since I have never been to New York and want to try the $1 pizza. 

K: Awesome. Last question. Do you have any advice for novice debaters on the Anderson team? 

Nate: Work hard, stay diligent in school, and give debate your best! The debate community has some of the brightest minds and great connections post-high school; it would be a waste not to take advantage of it. 

Nick: I would say compete a lot because learning and arguing about different topics over and over again enhances your debate knowledge and gives you connections to many people in and out of the state. 

Anderson’s speech and debate season goes until March of 2024. Talk to Coach Contreras in room 320 about joining if you’re interested! 

Dictionary 

Lincoln-Douglas – Lincoln-Douglas debate (more commonly referred to as LD) is a competitive speaking activity that involves two debaters arguing for and against a resolution. LD focuses on the conflicting values of social and philosophical issues. Typically, LD debates concern themselves with deciding whether or not certain actions or states of affairs are good or bad, right or wrong, moral or immoral. 

Public Forum – A widespread form of middle and high school competitive debate that centers on current events and relies on both logic and evidence to construct arguments.

Top Speaker – Debater who earned the most total speaker points in preliminary rounds of the tournament 

Bid Round – Reached after competing in a certain number of preliminary rounds 

TOC –  National high school speech and debate tournament held at the University of Kentucky each year that you must get at least two bids to compete at