The Trojan Record

The Trojan Record

Stepping Forward
Stepping Forward
May 1, 2024

Anderson Photography Club

The Anderson Photography Club was formed because its founding members saw the need for a more casual club focused on learning the art of photography. With that in mind, the club hopes to include aspiring photographers of all levels, to meet them where they’re at, and to help them grow their skills. Whether you’re a novice or a seasoned pro, everyone is welcome to join and participate!

It goes without saying that the best clubs are the ones open to everyone, so they’ve set up a system that does exactly that. Instead of having requirements for membership, the majority of the activities and competitions they host are purely optional. Plus, all activities have been made with the intention that they will be enjoyable for everyone, regardless of skill level. With experience gained from four years of learning photography, Amelie Sabatier (Vice President), aims to make the club a “very cool, and very fun experience” for everyone! 

The club was originally founded in 2022 but has been brought back again this year by its returning leadership. George Lawrence, a founding member and the current President of the club, hopes to “share the passion of photography with all students, and make a collaborative space where people can learn, develop, and be inspired”. This goal unites the club, allowing students to learn about photography in a stress-free environment. Lessons will be focused on a specific topic at every meeting, and the competitions are designed to reflect the previous week’s lesson. The club provides a space to meet and collaborate with others, by working together and making new friends along the way. Charlotte Gossett, the club’s Program Director, sees the club as “a really good opportunity for people to branch out into photography, so they can get chances that they may not have had before”. 

The Anderson Photography Club will begin meeting during lunch on Tuesdays in room 22, starting on September 26th. The club’s leadership plans to alternate activities at every meeting, either photography-related lessons or fun competitions for its members. Participation in the competitions is, again, completely optional, but the winner of each one will receive the coveted Golden Star Award! 

The clubs’ leadership also plans to organize outside of school activities, enter into photography-based competitions, and maybe create an exhibition in the Anderson Library. While nothing’s been set in stone yet, everyone can’t wait to see where the club’s headed. Plus, if you would like to view their work, just follow the clubs’ Instagram page: anderson.photography.com!