The Trojan Record

The Trojan Record

Stepping Forward
Stepping Forward
May 1, 2024

Climate Change – What You Can Do As A High School Student To Be More Sustainable

Photo Credits to CBS News. An image of a landfill covered in clothing from fast fashion brands in Ghana.

As fears of the noticeable acceleration of climate change surround us, many young people are beginning to ask themselves, “What can I do to help?” As a high school student, most likely relying on the shelter and provisions of a parent or guardian, you can integrate several small things into your day-to-day to help lower your carbon footprint. Individual actions matter when it comes to helping stop the progression of climate change. You can include some actions you can take during your normal daily routine and even when you are out with friends.

Overconsumption, due to the increase in advertising on social media platforms like TikTok or Instagram, has reached a frighteningly high level, with more and more young people purchasing clothing and accessories to follow a new trend, only to discard those items a short time later. An article published by the Web Tribunal states that the average American is exposed to between 4,000 to 10,000 advertisements per day. Over-purchasing and discarding products from fast-fashion and large corporate websites and brands such as Shein, Temu, H&M, Amazon, etc. are among the most significant individual activities that produce large amounts of harmful carbon emissions. Being aware of a company’s decisions surrounding climate protection (especially when it comes to the manufacturing of products and shipment methods) and making the personal decision not to purchase from that company is a huge step toward lowering your carbon footprint. Next time you shop either in-person or online for some new trendy item, ask yourself: “Do I need this?”. If you need a new item of clothing or just enjoy shopping, according to an article published by the Center for Biological Diversity, “consider buying secondhand instead of new, and look for products made from lower-impact materials and with minimal packaging and shipping.”

Although it might be more difficult to manage in this Texas heat, changing driving habits can significantly lower your carbon footprint. Instead of driving a short distance – perhaps to the convenience store or a friend’s house – consider walking or biking. “Combin[ing] errands to make fewer trips” or carpooling, according to The Center for Biological Diversity, is another shift in your driving habits that could lower emissions. If the place you are looking to go to is far away, check the Austin Metro bus or train schedule and find a stop near you to utilize public transportation. 

Finally, another huge contributing factor to climate change is the amount of plastic produced and used per year. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, “over 400 million tons of plastic are produced every year” and “at least 14 million tons of plastic end up in the ocean every year”. Plastic makes up over 80% of all debris found in the ocean and often causes harm to marine animals and those who rely on the ocean for sustenance or resources. Many countries lack the proper infrastructure to prevent plastic pollution, causing most plastic to end up in landfills, and eventually, the ocean. By lowering your single-use plastic consumption, you can prevent this dangerous trend from spiraling out of control. Bring a reusable cup to your next Starbucks run instead of using a plastic cup, use reusable bags when you shop, stop using plastic water bottles, and use a reusable water bottle whenever possible. 

By integrating these shifts into your daily habits, and thus lowering your carbon footprint, you can be part of the movement to slow climate change.